Beech Tree in Question
Some of you may be aware that the large beech tree on the green near to the swings is to be felled. It is diseased and potentially dangerous. Instead of reducing it to a stump we are having it carved to create a war memorial bringing together those who made the greatest sacrifice from Hauxwell, Constable Burton and Finghall onto one memorial. A tree/wood carver has been consulted as to the feasibility of the proposal and he has confirmed that the tree is ideal for carving.
Below is a draft copy of a plaque that will be attached at eye level to the memorial. It shows all of the names to be engraved on the plaque.
Funding is being sort and the costs of this project are approximately:
- Felling of the tree to about 20′ – Is being met by Mr Charles Wyvill.
- Carving – £1,500.
- Brass plaque – £200.
Within our community there will be people who may:
- Have ideas for the design of the memorial. It is currently thought that the design should be simple with clean lines and reflect peace and hope. Your ideas my be submitted as a sketch or as a written description.
- Have ideas for the design and size of the plaque. As above.
- Wish to contribute to the cost of the project.
- Have background knowledge about those being remembered.
- Know of someone who should be remembered who currently is not.
- Point of contact is George Tomlin at his email address email@example.com.