Category Archives: Community

Beech Tree War Memorial

Beech Tree in Question

Some of you may be aware that the large beech tree on the green near to the swings is to be felled. It is diseased and potentially dangerous. Instead of reducing it to a stump we are having it carved to create a war memorial bringing together those who made the greatest sacrifice from Hauxwell, Constable Burton and Finghall onto one memorial. A tree/wood carver has been consulted as to the feasibility of the proposal and he has confirmed that the tree is ideal for carving.

Below is a draft copy of a plaque that will be attached at eye level to the memorial. It shows all of the names to be engraved on the plaque.

Funding is being sort and the costs of this project are approximately:

  1. Felling of the tree to about 20′ – Is being met by Mr Charles Wyvill.
  2. Carving – £1,500.
  3. Brass plaque – £200.

Within our community there will be people who may:

  1. Have ideas for the design of the memorial. It is currently thought that the design should be simple with clean lines and reflect peace and hope. Your ideas my be submitted as a sketch or as a written description.
  2. Have ideas for the design and size of the plaque. As above.
  3. Wish to contribute to the cost of the project.
  4. Have background knowledge about those being remembered.
  5. Know of someone who should be remembered who currently is not.
  6. Point of contact is George Tomlin at his email address georgetomlin12@gmail.com.

 

Minutes, Village Meeting – April 25th 2019

Constable Burton Village Meeting Minutes

Thursday 25th April 2019

Present: Councillors Keith Loadman and Hilda Dobson, Kylie Ford, Jenni Shaw, Gillian Carss, Stewart Ayres and Cathy Ayres.

Going through minutes of previous meeting:

– Road signage: this would cost £1,980 and is therefore too expensive.

– Cherry tree: the council say they don’t prune trees and that the tree in its present state is ok but they will monitor it.

– Gravel on Station Road was removed.

– Potholes in Mill Lane: there has been a partial repair with some holes missed. It is anticipated that the ones repaired will not last long.

– Drain near Smithy: this was unblocked promptly.

Matters arising:

– Jenni raised the issue of the street light which is directly outside her property. The light is left on 24 hours is very bright and shines straight into her bedroom window. Could this light be turned off late evening? And could a grit bin, for winter weather, be installed? Possibly on the right hand side of the junction as it gets very icy here causing problems driving out onto the main road. These items will be brought up at the next Parish Meeting.

Update regarding light – a shade was installed on the light (RD6) within 3 days, which was a good result.

– Tree outside No.4 Mill Lane. Could this be checked by the Council to see if it is sound? It also looks to be top heavy. We are still also waiting to hear what is happening to the large beech tree on the green which was expected to be taken down this Spring before it came into leaf. Council to check re permission for the beech tree to be taken down as it has a preservation order.

– Post Box: Cathy Ayres had been asked by Valerie Dawson to ask for the laurel bush next to the post box to be trimmed back as she found it very difficult to reach. Josie to be asked if this could be done please.

– A seat on the green needs repairing, Stewart needs help to move the seat so he can do the repair.

Meeting closed 6.30pm

Reading Room, Minutes of AGM April 25th 2019

CONSTABLE BURTON READING ROOM

AGM MEETING 25TH APRIL 2019

Present: Kylie, Hilly, Stewart, Jennie, Cathy and Gillian

Apologies: Mike Phillipson

Minutes of last meeting held 10th April 2018 were accepted as true record.

Election of Officers:

Hilda Dobson appointed as Chairperson and Kylie Ford as Vice Chairperson. Other officers happy to remain in their positions.

Auditor:

This will now be Alan Coupe who is happy to do this work for free.

Repairs:

Chimney stack has been re-pointed but the lining still needs repairing. Toilet roof is still leaking, floor not repaired and shed roof not repaired.

Fund raising for repair work must be done. Gillian to contact Richmond Council to see if they have funds/grant available.

Stewart said that the boiler hot water was on constant and had been since the repair was done six weeks ago. Oil Force told Hilly they would return after 4 weeks to check. Hilly to chase.

Treasurers Report:

Jenni provided the income and expenditure account prepared by Kim Duke (below) for year ending 28th February 2019 along with her Treasures Report which showed the year ended on a £1,024 loss.

Kim noted that the biggest factor in the total amount of loss for the year was that the heat and lighting amount had doubled from last year.

The summer fair income was also down 39.7% from last year, this may have been due to the change of date, although the bank holiday was a complete wash out so at least we managed to raise some money.

Future Events: Summer Fair Sunday 25th August

Constable Burton Hall Tulip Festival 4th – 6th May

We are going to have a couple of stands over the weekend at the Festival to sell the Ducks for the summer fair and a tombola. Thank you to the residents that made donations for the tombola.

Rhino Presentation/Talk

George Tomlinson will be giving a presentation, date to be confirmed. Tickets will be £8 to include food. A percentage of the takings will be donated to a Rhino Charity by George.

Date of next meeting 9th May at 6.30pm

Meeting closed 7.30pm