Reading Room Minutes – Tuesday 13th March 2018
Present: Committee Members: Chris, Gerry, Gillian, Jenny and Stewart
Guests: Cathy, George, Moria, and Trevor
Apologies: Mike, Hilly and Kylie.
Minutes of 9th January 2018 reviewed:
– Unwanted donated books slowly being given to charity shop. Cathy is to continue this process.
– Use of printer. A charge of 10p per copy was agreed and that passwords would be issued to those wishing to use the printer so they could be charged individually for copies as leaving a donation has not been enough to cover ink costs.
– The Murder Mystery night raised £350. Excellent turn out. Thanks to all involved.
– TV for keep fit from Kylie – is it being repaired?
– Jonny was requested at the last meeting to supply Annual Report – this has still not been received.
– AGM Meeting date provisionally set for 10th April 2018 at 7.30pm, also Parish Meeting to be held same evening? Could Hilly confirm please.
Working through the items on the agenda provided by Chris:
Jenny Shaw was proposed and seconded as the new Treasurer.
It was thought that the notice board should be cleared of old private adverts and that in future a small donation could be made for future private adverts. The notice board is owned by the Parish Council so permission would be required.
Action: Hilly to speak with Keith Loadman please.
Trevor reiterated the protocol on the use of the defibrillator which must be followed.
In the case of an emergency 999 must be called immediately the caller should then follow the instructions given to them over the phone. If it is thought the defibrillator is needed and available the emergency service will give the caller a code number which allows the box located outside the Reading Room to be opened and the defibrillator to be removed. This is normally done by a second person whilst the caller continues to assist the patient by following the emergency services instructions over the phone until the emergency services arrive.
Trevor inspects and cleans the defibrillator regularly every 2/3 weeks.
In an effort to reduce heating costs it was suggested that the Art Group could possibly move their day from Monday morning to Tuesday morning so they could “share” the heating with the Yoga Group who use the room in the afternoon. It was also suggested however that the Reading Room benefited from having the heating on two days instead of one as it helped air it out.
It was also noted that after a power cut the central heating system goes a bit haywire and comes on ‘constant’. If this occurs the small reset button on the control box needs resetting. Chris said he would attend to this in the event of a power cut.
Tour de Yorkshire:
Exciting news, its coming through Constable Burton on 5th May at approximately 12.30 (time to be confirmed). A Steering Group Meeting is to be held on Wednesday 28th March at 7.30pm to discuss amongst other items car parking.
Leaking Toilet Roof:
Temporary repair done by Stewart – thanks Stewart! The leak is coming through lead line. Action: Stewart said he would get a quote as soon as possible from Tim Moss to do the repair (when weather improves) and to also get a quote to repair the floor in the Reading Room.
Report not available to date.
Action: Cathy/Stewart said they would speak to Jonny and ask him to email it through to Gillian.
Any Other Business:
• Has Jonny paid Peacocks for coal? has he sourced a new electricity supplier? Gillian to supply Jenny with Jonny’s email address so they can speak and arrange handover.
• Oil is now getting very low. It was agreed that an order be placed for 500 litres from Kettlewell Fuels who require bank details before taking order.
Action: Cathy said she would ask Jonny to order oil asap.
• Date of all future meetings to be posted on Notice Board.
• Meeting Room hire – 25th March.
Action: Could Hilly confirm if this is still going ahead please as rumoured it has been cancelled?
• George Tomlin provided the committee with the following letter received from a friend visiting from the US;
“I would like to make a donation in George Tomlin’s name to your Reading Room Events Centre. My Name is Mark Ernest from the US and I got the opportunity to visit with George last spring and am very impressed with your countryside and people.
Included with the letter was a fantastic £100 donation. George passed this donation over to Jenny at the meeting. Huge thanks to Mark.
• George expressed concern again that the donation to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance from money raised at the Summer Fair had still not been made and should have by now.
Action: Could Hilly advise of % of Summer Fair takings to be given as a donation to Jenny please.
• Easter Sunday. Both Hilly and Kylie are not available to organise anything this year. Would any one else like to organise along with afternoon tea?
• Chris Green announced at the end of the meeting that he was resigning his post of Proxy Chair. The committee would like to thank Chris for his help and input over the last year.
Date of Next Meetings:
Steering Group Meeting for Tour de Yorkshire – Wednesday 28th March 2018
AGM Meeting 10th April 2018 at 7.30 – to be confirmed
Parish Meeting 10th April 2018 – to be confirmed